August 05, 2008


Hello!!

I'm sorry I haven't updated anything for so long - I have just been trying to get a stronger foothold on things here!!
the diagram I've drawn out is to explain the structure of my process I am adopting to gain the information I want. So far, I have dipped into the first part of it - studying the break up of the organization. There are two main sides to it - Kolkata, and Phulia. I'm looking at the Kolkata Section as of now. Bappaditya has gone to Assam for a workshop and will be returning on the 7th of this month, after which, we will make a field visit to the village.

This chart is how I intend to work my information. I am using Bailou as a model, or an example of design intervention that has kept in mind the fundamentals of sustaining the craft. Understanding the organization in a systematic way, I feel, will give me a clearer picture on the effort that is being made from one who has an academic design background. Once I jot down all aspects of this level, I intend on going into the village, and doing a similar break-up of their rural set up. This, along with the information I hope to gain on the state of the craft before Bailou entered the scene, and the origins of it, will give me the base on which my document will be built.

So far I have dipped into the first level of this chart. I have started my cross-section of Bailou, and its departments in Kolkata and Phulia. I have been introduced to the Kolkata Team, and I will be starting my conversations with them from tomorrow. So here starts the Kolkata Journey. Perhaps I should illustrate it as I go along? I say this, because each conversation I have gives rise to really strong images in my head. Lets see... I'll keep this a thought bubble, and when the next image comes along, I'll try sketching it out. If it works - well – that’s a new aspect to the project right there!!

No comments: