August 15, 2009

The Curtain Call

My CHOICE internship has almost come to an end. This is my last month. I have had a wonderful time working with SAPPHO and KALAM. Both the organisations offered me a space to learn and disseminate my own learnings. Whilst KALAM had me take a more creative role through the workshops i took and facilitated it also allowed me the ground for an ethnographic study of a certain community of children who come from the disadvantaged part of the society. This has helped me further in understanding and continuing work in this field.

SAPPHO took me to a whole new world. For the uninitiated its a lesbian support group and to actually be able to be part of their work, advocacy and mission was a huge boost to me. It allowed me to closely observe the nascent lesbian community in Kolkata. Look at and adress issues related to health, support structure and expression. I have been associated majorly with some basic archiving and data collection work and in helping with the Queer Conference which was held earlier this year. Both were extremely self satisfying and learning.

Today as i am about to complete my last few days of the internship i feel a bit nostalgic and sad that this had to come to an end, however i do feel privileged to have been a part of this learning process which gave me a first hand insight into the workings of a NGO model and practical fieldwork in undersatnding the people, community and children i want to work with in the near future.

x

No comments: