February 15, 2009

In Retrospect

I completed my internship with CHOICE a little over two weeks ago. The experience is still fresh in my mind though. Writing this from a foreign land where I'm still adjusting to language, people, timings, and a new kind of liberation, its comforting to reflect on the small, intimate space of the Seagull office, and the experience I got there. Thinking back, it seems to be like a stepping-stone to the place I'm at now, because my work at Seagull too demanded some adjustments. 

You could say I was computer-illiterate when I joined Seagull. My skills were limited to facebook and e-mailing, and I was quite content nestled in my limitations. A few weeks into my internship however, I was forced out of my comfortable 'shell'. I admit I was quite terrified when told to resize images, create price-lists, scan photographs and handle software that was completely foreign to me. Although I doubt that I'll need these in the immediate future, I thank Megha sincerely for waking me up!

Working on the missing film lists was a pleasure. While browsing the web for films that were worth obtaining for the Seagull library, I took every opportunity to discover even the most trivial detail about a particular director or film. Definitely a strange activity to get a kick out of I know, but for me it was pure enjoyment. 

Reporting on the Peaceworks workshops gave me a chance to do one of the things I love, which is to write. I kept in mind of course that these were personal accounts, and that I needed to critique. An adjustment was made there too. I was also exposed to schools very different from the one I went to, and the ways in which different students in the same age group think and act. At several moments, I was also doubtful about how I should act with them. Adjustment. 

And of course my limits of patience were also tested! I couldn't have expected to avoid the hard part of being an intern- doing the 'dirty work'! Which meant adding or deleting names to the mailing database, clearing out old old files and boxes and doing tedious proof readings. For this too I am grateful, because I realized that work was work, whether small or big, and that it all contributed to the finished picture. 

My picture is complete. For now. But a word about my colleagues before I end- their personalities ensured that a day at work was never boring! And they were ever so patient with me even on days when I was extra slow! It was great working at Seagull. I'll stay posted!




No comments: