April 06, 2009

Lumbini. The Start.

Over the last month, I started frequenting Lumbini Park Mental hospital. Tucked away in a corner of New Ballygunge, the inconspicuous and harmless yellow building houses one of the 3 mental hospitals in the city, where ANJALI runs it's rehab programmes. On my very visit, I was there to attend the "Basanta Utsab" (Spring Festival) organised by ANJALI. I didn't get to interact with them, cos the place was flooded with guests and they themselves, were flushed with the performances they'd put up.
The first impression of Lumbini, left me quite shaken. The narrow corridors, the dingy dorms, the rough beds, the cage in the female ward, where the warden sat under a fan, chit chatting... and mostly, the faces, of all the inmates..
The idea of starting photo therapy there, had grown and fermented in my head. I had spoken to both ANJALI, and CHOICE, about the revamped project, so now I set about talking to the people who would from he axis. On my next few visits, I went alone, and without my camera. It didn't take very long to get familiar with them. They love having someone to talk to, and they talk a lot. They absorb you into their world..
Gradually I broached the topic of photography. Most of them were very enthusiastic, but some had their reservations. But the response was overall, predominantly positive. So, over the last month, armed with an old digital point and shoot, I started taking the photography "classes".
Since there was only one camera going around, it also gave us time to talk. They slipped easily into personal accounts of their stay in Lumbini, and their memories, and sometimes delusions. A game that we often play, is "Moner Frame-e, ei muhurte, kon chobi ta ghurche?" (Which picture do you see in your mind's frame right now?)
The results are absolutely intriguing.. Ranging from childhood stories to complaints against the hospital authorities, it paints a vivid picture of the lives they lead.
I am collecting narrative and pictures from these visits to design the eventual awareness workshop. Here are some of the pictures, they've taken so far:








More soon. 

Pujarini.
Intern, ANJALI.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Pujarini!

Thanks for the post. It reads well, and the photos look great too in an intriguing way.
It would be really great if you could write more about what you plan to do at Lumbini and why, and why you think photography is the medium you chose, and what kind of a difference it would make in the lives of the inmates.

Hope to hear more updates soon.
Best,
B.